17 Smoulder Gel Eyeliner Review

8 October 2012


How Much Is It?
£3.99


Where Can I Buy It?

You can get this along with all other 17 brand make up at Boots stores or http://www.boots.com


What Colour/s Does It Come In?

Currently this is only available in black.


How Much Product Do I Get?


6m so you get plenty of product for your money!


Packaging?

This eyeliner comes in a sleek little black box. The eye liner is contained within a small, sturdy glass jar with a plastic shiny black screw on lid. You also receive a small liner brush. I had no problems with the general functionality of the packaging.










What Are The Product Claims?

This claims to last "16 hours", with a soft, silky finish/formula. See the photo of the packaging below for the rest :)




Why Gel Eyeliner?

Gel eyeliner is a great alternative to pencil or liquid eyeliners because it is so much easier to apply and work with. This particular gel eyeliner doubles as an eye shadow base that you can use under eyeshadow to create a smouldering, smokey look. It's unique quality is that it offers the precision you would achieve with a liquid eyeliner but with a softer finish. Meaning you can create precise but still soft/smokey looks with this liner. I am a HUGE fan of intense, smoked-out looks so this one definitely appealed to me!




How Do I Use It?

You apply gel eyeliner using a thin eyeliner brush (there is one provided in the box that this product comes in or you can use your own).

You can use this as a liner on its own, blend it around the eyes or or blend it with eye shadow to create an intense look.


Scent?

This liner has no noticeable scent.


How Long Does It Last?

Remember that how long make up lasts depends on whether you use a primer and what kind of skin you have. The length of time it lasts on me doesn't reflect how long it will last on anyone else.

I found this eyeliner wasn't ready to come off until I was ready to take it off. I feel this was largely because I always wear eye primer underneath my eye make up. Without primer I found it faded slightly after about 6 hours. That was the worst effect I noticed, otherwise it was still in place and hadn't smeared or flaked.

I wore this in all different types of situations as I always do (shopping, in a hot salon at college, outdoors, etc) when reviewing a product. I generally prefer to use an eye primer underneath my eye make up because it ensures it  always looks better and stays put for longer. It does start to smudge a TINY bit (I emphasise 'tiny' because it was barely noticeable) after many hours (8 hours plus for me personally) wear (even with a primer) but otherwise it stayed put very well.








Pigmentation?

Because this can be used as an eye shadow base as well as a gel eyeliner, I'd say the pigmentation is buildable. Meaning you can 'strengthen' the colour by layering the product. I imagine this is a result of this particular eyeliner being duo-purpose. Because of this you'd be able to create any level of intensity you wanted for your look (ie: soft smokey by using 1-2 layers to intense smokey by layering it further). But by no means am I suggesting the pigmentation is poor. Not at all. This is a very pigmented eyeliner as you can see in the swatch photo below. However, you do need to build the pigmentation slightly. This was the only 'downside' of this product for me. But the intention of the product is to offer the precision of liquid liner with a soft finish, so it would need to be a buildable product in order to create that soft finish. In other words, it fits its purpose.


I haven't used this as a base yet but I imagine I would really like it as I love deep, intense smokey eye make up. I imagine this would be great to add intensity to eye shadows as it is so easily buildable.

Formula?

As the claims suggest, the formula is definitely VERY silky smooth. It blends like a dream across the eye, very easily, very smoothly and stays exactly where it is placed. It won't budge once it's dried so work fairly quickly with it. You can also create a softer, smokey look with it by smudging it out which is lovely. As I said, I am a huge fan of those sorts of looks so this worked wonderfully for me in that respect.

How Well Does It Remove?

You need a good eye make up remover to get this off, I'm not going to lie. Make sure you let the remover sink into the liner to ensure it is all removed. This stuff stays put well so it takes a little effort to get it off. Just please, DON'T SCRUB YOUR EYES!!! Let the make up remover sink into it and wipe gently away.

Purchase Again?

It is a great gel eyeliner and as I said, I imagine it will make a lovely eyeshadow base too. It's very long lasting and smear/flake free. I'd definitely purchase it again :)

Post a Comment

INSTAGRAM

© Luna Light ☾. Design by FCD.