Rimmel Stay Matte Liquid Mousse Foundation Review

4 January 2014


Product


 

Rimmel Stay Matte Liquid Mousse Foundation








Price?

Approximately £5.99 in Boots and Superdrug. The price will vary depending on where you purchase this.


Where Can I Purchase This?

Larger Boots and Superdrug stores as well as most supermarkets.

Shades?

This product comes in 5 shades: Light Porcelain, Ivory, Soft Beige, Sand and Natural Beige.


I originally purchased this is in Ivory and then later in Light Porcelain. 


I have fair skin with slightly warm undertones and I found that Ivory, though one shade darker than what I'd normally choose (I generally prefer the more lighter coloured foundations. That is just my personal preference.), still worked for my skin tone. 

I alternate between the two shades. Depending on how much coverage I need that day (due to my natural redness showing or a breakout) depends on which I wear. Ivory is generally better for me for covering redness since it's one shade darker than Light Porcelain. It looks quite dark in the photo but it does blend out very nicely over fair skin.

Swatches


 







Scent?

No noticeable scent

Packaging?

A wonderfully sized (30ml) tube. Complete value for money. I LOVE tube packaging. It reduces waste, makes depositing product so much easier (allows much more control when extracting the product from the container). Tube packaging is also far more hygienic. I love it.
 


Functionality

Formula
 
The formula of this foundation is a fairly thick, smooth textured liquid mousse. It is essentially like a cross between liquid and mousse foundation.

 

Coverage

Great coverage. You can build from a medium to full coverage. I have natural redness in my face and I suffer with break outs related to 'that time of the month' so I do appreciate a foundation that can conceal those problem areas on my skin. This does a wonderful job.
 


Application

I found the best way to apply this foundation was actually with a beauty blender sponge. It also works well with a foundation brush. However if you use a foundation brush be sure to apply the product sparingly (little by little) or it can bunch up as the formula itself is quite thick. With a beauty blender sponge it looks absolutely FLAWLESS. Overall it applies evenly and easily.
 

Finish

This product does not disappoint. The finish is completely matte! And again, as it promises, no caking! Doesn't slide, doesn't crease up.

HOWEVER, if you have any obvious or severe dry, flaky patches on your skin I would recommend exfoliating before using this foundation because it will (like ANY other foundation) cling to dry flakes of skin otherwise.
 


Lasting Power

WONDERFUL. I first must point out that my skin type is dry with minor oiliness depending on what time of the month it is. For someone with an oilier complexion I would recommend setting this foundation with powder but see no reason why it shouldn't wear for a long time.

I have worn this in different situations from just being at home to going to dinner and out shopping in all weathers.

From the moment I applied it a huge portion of it stayed put until I was ready to remove it. I would say around 80% of it remained on my face after a day shopping in heavy rain so it wears well under bad weather conditions. Absolutely fantastic lasting power!

3 comments

  1. Does Ivory shade has a yellow undertone?,They have a shade called true Ivory, but I don't know which one has a more yellow undertone. I have a very light skin with yellow undertones, I'm using buff in Revlon colorstay, do you think the Ivory shade is equivalent to the Buff shade?. I have searched every review on the internet, but nothing reviews on the undertones of the rimmel stay matte foundation shades.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Laura,

    Apologies for not including this information in my review. The reason for it not appearing is because I provide swatches for people to see the formulas for themselves but I understand it can still be difficult to know. I'll definitely aim to include this type of information in future to the best of my ability. Often shades can appear differently on my personal skin tone so all I can do is provide my own perspective there.

    The Ivory shade is definitely more beige toned than yellow in my opinion. I have also used Buff from the Revlon Colorstay range and that shade suited my skin fairly nicely but it was more yellow toned than this particular shade. I have not seen the True Ivory shade (in real life) so am unable to comment on that shade. Hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sparklyshell,

    Thanks for replying. It really helps a lot. So Ivory would be a little too dark for me. But I just recently found out that rimmel has another shade called Light Ivory, it is lighter than Ivory but darker than light porcelain. I'm not sure what undertone Light Ivory has. Well, I just have to buy it to find out. Thanks again :).

    ReplyDelete

INSTAGRAM

© Luna Light ☾. Design by FCD.