How To Get Extra Colourful Make Up (Tutorial)

6 April 2014

 [Photo made and taken by myself]


Colour your eyes with this vibrant tutorial!

Here I'll show you how to make your eye make up really stand out. You can of course adjust the colours to ones that you prefer.

Be sure to keep checking out my youtube channel because I will be posting a few colourful make up tutorials on there very soon.

You can find my channel link in the side bar of my blog (on the right side of the page) or just click here
 

Let's begin the tutorial!


Eye Primer

I would personally recommend ALWAYS wearing an eye primer regardless of what kind of eye make up you are wearing. This is especially important when wearing colourful eye make up.

A primer provides a 'protective layer' between your skin and the eye make up. It helps prevent the natural oils in your skin from wearing the make up away and in turn this prevents smudging, flaking, fading and creasing. It increases the longevity of your eye make up.

When wearing bright colours on your eyes the last thing you want is for those beautiful colours on your eyes to fade, sink into lines and smudge over your face within only a few hours of wearing them.

So to begin, apply your eye primer to your lids and brow bone and blend evenly. I recommend blending the primer into the brow bone to prevent the make up on eyebrows, brow bone and eye lids from moving.


Here I have used my Along Came Betty primer. It has a slight orange tone to it so I am unable to use it on my brow bone (which I would normally do) as the orange tone shows up too obviously. Therefore I am only able to use this on my lids underneath eye shadow. Blended on to the lids with clean fingers.










✯ Different eye primers have different tones to them. Some will produce an 'invisible' (or barely visible) finish whereas others contain colour/s. Choose one appropriate to your needs. I personally highly recommend the original urban decay primer potion or the original too faced shadow insurance. Both are 'invisible' primers and won't show through your make up regardless of what colours you wear. ✯


Creme Eyeshadow Base

Creme eye shadows are fantastic for providing an adhesive base for eye shadow pigment to stick to, therefore making eye shadow appear FAR more vibrant. 

You can match the colour of your creme eye shadow base to your eye shadow if you wish. Coloured creme eye shadow bases can sometimes affect the colour of your eye shadow so keep this in mind when choosing a shade to go underneath your eye makeup. Neutral ones are often more ideal for this reason.

I blended my GOSH waterproof creme eye shadow in Love That Platinum over the lids using clean fingers. This particular creme eye shadow is a light silver that I have used under vibrant colours many times and it is absolutely perfect. One of my favourite bases to use!








✯ It is best to use a primer first and then a creme eye shadow over the top because applying a creme base with no primer underneath it will result in the make up creasing and moving around. ✯



Eyeshadow

For my lid colour I chose MAC Stars and Rockets. I applied the colour using my MAC 217 brush. I enjoy this brush because though it is a blending brush the face of the brush and its bristles are quite dense and therefore ideal for applying colour to larger lids like mine. 





To ensure eye shadow appears as colourful as possible use a patting motion to apply the product on to the lid as opposed to sweeping. Sweeping or blending the colour will soften it and reduce the vibrancy of the colour upon application. Of course you can follow up by blending the colour in the eye socket area so that there are no uneven or harsh lines where the colour meets the contours of the eye lid.







Contour Colour


A contour colour will add definition to your eyes. Of course if you only enjoy wearing one shade then by all means do so. However here I decided to use a striking shade of blue to contrast against the MAC Stars And Rockets eye shadow.

Today I'm using the Sleek Ultra Matte Brights V1 I-Divine Palette. 









The shade I have chosen is Bolt (photo below):





To create a strongly contoured crease colour I placed Bolt into the eye socket area with a small, dense brush. 

For a vibrant finish I used a gentle sweeping motion and layered the product little by little. Layering the product allows you to build the intensity of the colour as much or as little as you desire. Avoid applying too much colour at once because it is difficult and time consuming to correct vibrant colours.

✯  A small dense brush is ideal for placing colour into the crease because it does so precisely and accurately. ✯



To frame the eyes I then blended the same colour into the outer corners of my eye and lower lash line with the same brush. Do this with your eyes open because it allows you to see where you are placing the colour.




Lower Lash Line

Colour along the lower lash line will really enhance and define, giving the eyes a striking look.

My eyes are larger and therefore colour along the lower lash line is very necessary to prevent the lower portion of my eyes from looking less visible (which it will if I only apply colour to my lids and eye socket area). 

To give my lower lash line a striking, strong colourful appearance I first lined the lower lash line with my MUA eyeliner in Turquoise. 










I then used the remnants of the Bolt shade on my small dense brush and blended the shadow into the eyeliner to create a thick, evenly blended bold line. You can use an angled eye liner brush to do this if you prefer. I personally don't use an eyeliner brush of any kind to apply shadow to my lower lash line simply because it takes too long and doesn't give me the thicker line I want. If you want a thinner line then of course an eye liner brush is ideal to use to complete this step.

The mineral pigment of the eye shadow sticks to the adhesive base of the eye liner which gives it its colourful, intense finish.

If you want a softer, less intense line then just use eye shadow on its own. Keep in mind that without any creme pigment underneath it or mixed into it, eye shadow on the lower lash line will not stay as vibrant for as long as it would with the creme product so you may need to re-apply the colour frequently if you wear it this way.



Mascara And Clean Up

Colourful eye shadow can make your lashes look much less defined so it is ideal to 'bring them back out' by defining them with mascara or even faux lashes if you so wish! (Faux lashes look fantastic with coloured eye shadow!) I don't have any lashes and didn't want to wear them so I just applied one of my favourite mascaras. I applied my mascara to my upper and lower lashes as usual.




  At this stage it is a good idea to clean up any fall out or uneven edges with a good old cotton bud!




Base Make Up

When I wear vibrant eye shadows I usually prefer to tone the rest of my face make up down. Of course it's all about personal preference so choose whatever colours make you happy!

For my own base make up I began by applying my favourite foundation EVER. The Rimmel Stay Matte foundation. My shade is Ivory. I used my favourite beauty blender sponge - Real Techniques Beauty Blender - to stipple the product on. Stippling (a form of patting the make up on) creates an air-brushed finish which I adore!










Apply concealer to any areas of the face that require it. I don't have very bad dark circles but do like to brighten my under eye area with concealer when necessary. Apply the product by dotting it underneath the eyes (and over any other areas) and blending out.









I wanted to give my skin a glowing appearance so I added a touch of my MUA highlighter to my brow bones and to the tops of my cheek bones.











To add some colour and definition to my face I applied my E.L.F creme blush in Flirt to my cheek bones, mixing the colour slightly with the MUA highlighter to create a pink glow on my cheeks. 



 



To hold my make up in place for longer I used my Seventeen Stay Time setting powder. Unfortunately I didn't manage to get a photo of this stage because my camera battery decided it needed charging at this point. Oh the joys of technology...

I completed the look by adding a nude lipstick. This is one of my favourites by TopShop in the shade Saint. 








The completed look!





Post a Comment

INSTAGRAM

© Luna Light ☾. Design by FCD.