VO5 Dry Back Combing Spray Review

17 April 2014


Product


VO5 Dry Back Combing Spray
















Price

Approximately £3.79 depending on where you purchase this.

 

























Where Can I Purchase This?

I purchased mine from Tesco.

Boots, Superdrug, most supermarkets and I believe this may also be sold in Savers stores for a little cheaper too.

 






 




Packaging

You get 200ml of product so a good amount for your money in a spray can. I had no problems with the spray can itself. I usually find many hair products in spray bottles do not spray evenly and this can result in uneven distribution which is rather annoying. However this sprays very evenly which is awesome!


 




Scent

This product does have a light scent but it is not overwhelming. It's subtle and pleasant.


Functionality (How it performs)



I have very long and naturally thick hair. My hair usually becomes very greasy when I use most hair products (even when using small amounts) which initially put me off wanting to use any hair products other than shampoo and conditioner for quite some time.

Then one day I decided to try a few brands and VO5 was one of them. I have been using this brand for many years now and I have always found their products have worked well with my hair. I have used their serums and hairsprays so far and they never made my hair sticky, greasy or matted.

Recently I noticed they had brought out this Dry Back Combing Spray and was very intrigued and excited. I have good volume in my hair but most of that volume resides in mid section to the ends of my hair. My roots usually need a little help. I had tried various volumising hairsprays and found some worked but many didn't hold the volume for very long. And the problem with hairspray is even if you use a little it can often still leave your hair slightly sticky or stiff. I chose to just back comb with a regular back combing brush for a long time but wasn't very happy with this as it can damage your hair. I am very anti-damage when it comes to my hair. The only hot tool I use for the most part is a hair dryer and I always use heat protectant sprays. I use a hair straightener only a few times a year for special occasions.

I used to have very damaged hair because of using straighteners on a daily basis and the ends of my hair were snapping off. So I chopped off those damaged ends and ever since I've been taking very good care of my hair.

I saw this spray and immediately wanted to try it out. I got 3 VO5 hair products for the price of 2 at Tesco. So that was pretty rad :)


Application

The instructions inform you that you need to shake the can well before spraying and hold the can about 30 cms away from the hair when spraying. You are then instructed to distribute the product with a hairbrush through the hair.

I direct the product at my roots when I use it as this is where I would usually back comb. The product is an extremely subtle white colour. Once you brush or run your fingers through your hair the colour disappears easily and completely. I have very dark brown hair and it barely showed up on my hair at all. It is slightly similar to dry shampoo in the way that it applies (you spray it and massage in with fingers or a brush as you would with dry shampoo) except it is much more subtle in colour than dry shampoo.


I chose to distribute the product with a brush initially and then I used my fingers for precision. I found using my fingers worked better than using a brush. Though I only have a paddle brush so I imagine this could work better with a smaller brush.


Lasting Power

This has amazing lasting power. It remained in my hair and held most of the volume I began with all day long. Even through rain and wearing a hood!

Performance

Does it volumise in the same way as back combing? To me, it comes VERY close. My only issue with this product was whilst the results came close to back combing they still were not quite as effective. But as I said, the results were still very similar. My roots looked quite volumised so I was pleased with the end results.

It's non-sticky, doesn't make your hair stiff or matted. It does leave the hair slightly dry but it did not feel like it was overwhelmed with product.

Purchase Again?


This spray is very ideal for those who hate the idea of damaging their hair with the brush back combing method. I would recommend it for those who need volume in their roots especially.

I love the idea of this spray and it works really well for me. I don't volumise often but I definitely enjoy this product and would consider purchasing it again. I do like to try new products all the time, that would be the only factor preventing me from repurchasing this immediately.

Post a Comment

INSTAGRAM

© Luna Light ☾. Design by FCD.