Sleek B.B Cream Review

26 September 2012



What Is It?


This is a B.B cream. 'B.B' stands for 'Blemish Balm'. B.B creams contain vitamins and SPF which help care for and protect the skin. Many also contain make up (foundation) to provide a hint of coverage. So they are essentially a make up product with properties that help to look after and protect your skin.  They often have very light/medium coverage and feel very light on the skin. (However, some can offer full coverage, such as this one!) They are a great alternative for those who want an even complexion with a light feel.

Here is the description of Sleek's B.B. Cream from their website if you would like to know more about its ingredients and general properties:

"This multi-tasking wonder balm can be used as a primer, tinted moisturiser or concealer. Build to provide medium to full coverage. Loaded with skin loving multi-vitamins, anti ageing properties and protein peptides that revitalises and nourishes and aids in skin repair. Vitamin C adds an extra boost to the skin for a healthy, glowing complexion, whilst the presence of Vitamin E protects the skin from early stages of UV damage, leaving skin youthful and luminous. Skin stays protected with SPF15, whilst jojoba oil soothes and moisturises for a flawless finish. Available in 4 shades to suit all skin tones." - Sleek.Com

















How Much Is It / Where Can I Purchase It?

Sleek's B.B Cream retails for £8.99. You can purchase this B.B cream from Sleek's own website Sleek Make Up (I believe Sleek ship internationally! Yay!) or from any Superdrug store for approximately the same amount.


How Much Product Does It Contain?

50ml or 1.76 ounces

What Shade/s Does It Come In?


The one I purchased is in 'Fair 801'. This B.B cream comes in 4 shades: Fair, Light, Medium and Dark. Considering many B.B creams only come in two shades, this is a pretty good selection.


Packaging?

This B.B cream comes in an attractive, and forgive the pun, 'sleek' looking black squeeze tube. I am a huge fan of squeeze tube packaging because it is generally less wasteful and more hygienic than pumps or jars. A squeeze tube also allows you better control when extracting the product from the container. I love it! I also would like to add that I love how the tube itself is quite short in length, it fits perfectly into my small make up bag which I carry around with me from day to day. More love for it! :D







Does It Have A Scent?

There is no noticeable scent to this product




Application

I personally apply this with a foundation brush or with very clean fingers. I find both work very well but using fingers works the best for me personally.

I swatched this product in daylight so that you can get an idea of what the shade I have looks like. Remember, this is the 'Fair 801' shade :)






What Is The Coverage And Finish Like?


Coverage


Please remember that I have my own individual skin type and what works for me may not work for someone else. I can only describe my experience with this product and how it worked on my skin personally.

I have combination dry skin with very minor oiliness. I have a slight amount of natural redness in my cheeks. I found this B.B cream provided a wonderful medium to full coverage (depending on how much I use) and it feels incredibly light on the skin. It covered the mild under eye circles I have and any spots on my face very well. I was pleasantly surprised by this. It also offers a soft feel to the face once applied which I am very fond of.

You can build the coverage so if you prefer a lighter coverage that can still be achieved with a single layer of this product over the skin. If you prefer more coverage like myself, just layer the product slightly where needed to build to a medium or full coverage. Keep in mind that most B.B cream are not like foundations so they will not always perform the same way as a foundation in terms of coverage. Saying that, this particular B.B cream, as previously stated, does offer very good coverage. The formula itself blends nicely over the skin. It is very similar in texture to a thicker coverage liquid foundation. Very smooth and creamy.


Finish

This has a lovely matte finish also which I absolutely loved. I had bad experiences in the past with other U.K B.B creams that turned my ordinarily dry skin completely shiny looking so it was a relief to finally find a U.K B.B cream that didn't leave a greasy finish.

This is truly, in my opinion, the best B.B cream I have tried so far. There are many others by various other brands which I have either tried or swatched that I felt should not even be called 'B.B Creams' because they simply didn't perform like a B.B. cream should or didn't contain ingredients that would identify them as a true B.B cream. Many are just tinted moisturisers labelled as B.B creams. And B.B creams are not the same as tinted moisturisers. If they were tinted moisturisers they'd be called tinted moisturisers, not B.B creams.

They have been likened to tinted moisturisers due to the amount of coverage they provide being similar to that of a tinted moisturiser, but they are not the same type of product as a tinted moisturiser. They are usually thicker in consistency and contain vitamins/skin protecting properties. A tinted moisturiser is simply that - foundation and moisturiser, sometimes with SPF. Yes, SPF is a protecting factor in a product but many tinted moisturisers do not usually contain vitamins for example.

But overall I loved the coverage and finish of this product. It's absolutely lovely.

How Long Does It Last?

A surprisingly long time! I found this lasts around at least 8-9 hours on myself. Keep in mind how long this lasts will depend on your skin type. After that amount of time I found it simply wore off a little in certain areas of my face. It was still present on my face after a long day which was impressive. However, if you have extremely oily skin you may find it doesn't last as long as that on you. I would recommend setting it with some light translucent powder in order to increase its staying power. You can also try using a face primer underneath if you so wish, that will definitely help the product to stay on if your skin is a bit troublesome and has a hard time holding on to products.


How Does It Oxidise?


Oxidisation is something that happens with all make up. It is the process of the make up literally oxidising with the air in the environment which can cause it to change colour slightly. That is why eyeshadow can appear less vibrant after some time (use a good eye primer to keep the colour brighter for longer! Same goes for face makeup - use a good face primer and you should see your face makeup last longer too.). It is a process that is particularly prominent with B.B creams because of the active ingredients they contain. Many B.B creams tend to change colour after a certain amount of time.

After approximately 8-9 hours or so I find the coverage of this product wears away slightly. It all depends on how much you use and your own personal skin type as to how fast you will notice this factor. The product is still there but it tends to oxidise slightly lighter and eventually you will see your natural skin peeking through. Those who enjoy a very natural finish won't mind this factor but for those who like a good amount of coverage, you're probably better off using foundation and concealer.

I have fair skin and this wasn't bothersome to me at all. I actually love the finish of this B.B cream even after oxidisation, it is truly lovely.


How Does It Remove?

B.B creams are still make up and they still need to be removed at the end of the day. I personally find it comes off effortlessly with some face make up remover.

Overall Rating/Repurchase?

Love it love it love it. This has definitely become a staple in my make up bag. It is affordable, it's got great ingredients for the skin, it performs well for me personally and I'm so, so happy with it. It's the perfect alternative to foundation/concealer for me and I have found my foundations have almost become obsolete since I bought this. I rarely ever wear anything else on my face now! I adore this B.B cream!! Definitely going to stock up and I know I really love a product when I want to do that! :)








Thanks for reading!

Loves!

1 comment

  1. Such a detailed review, thank you! I went out to buy today, and am wearing it as I write this :D I love it already! I have combination-oily skin, and the finish is somewhat dewy, but I quite like that, it looks healthy! Would recommend! :) Lily. xx

    ReplyDelete

INSTAGRAM

© Luna Light ☾. Design by FCD.