Rimmel Match Perfection Foundation (Porcelain and Ivory) Review

4 August 2013


Product?

Rimmel Match Perfection Foundation.  



 
The reason the packaging looks different is because Ivory - on the right in the photo above - is in the old style packaging. B+M sells the older style packaging. Both versions come in a pump style bottle.


Price?

This generally retails for around £6.99. I purchased 'Porcelain' from Superdrug for just under £6.99 with my student discount card.

I purchased 'Ivory' from B+M for a few pounds less (I can not remember the exact price but it was around £4).


Where Can I Purchase This?

You can purchase this foundation from Boots, Superdrug and most supermarkets.



You can also of course find this online.



Packaging?

This comes in a pump style glass bottle which I absolutely love. Pump style packaging helps to prevent waste and mess. You have much better control over how much product is dispensed as a result. I had no problems with the overall functionality of the pump (it doesn't stick or become too 'compressed' to use). The glass bottle itself is also very sturdy. I travel a lot with my make up and I'm also a bit prone to dropping it. I am pleased to confirm the bottle can survive many knocks! Those who travel may be pleased to know that as I know it's bothersome when you're travelling with make up sometimes.

 





Scent?

There is no noticeable scent to this product.



Benefits?

This foundation contains SPF so you get a foundation with sun protection which is always good. I prefer foundations with in-built sun protection because it saves me time. I also dislike wearing a regular sunscreens on my face because they usually make me look greasy. The older version of this foundation had an SPF of 15. The newer version has SPF 18.

 

Shades?

This product comes in 11 shades.

I own this foundation in two shades. Porcelain and Ivory. The reason I purchased both shades is because I wanted Porcelain (which is much lighter) for cosplaying. 



 Swatches:






Functionality?


I have many points to cover so I have put everything under sub-headings so it's more organised and you can see a break down of how this foundation performed for me more easily.




Formula ★ 

This comes in one type of formula - liquid. 


Shades  

I have fair skin with very mild redness. I found that Porcelain didn't offer the same amount of coverage as Ivory. As I mentioned previously, I purchased Porcelain for cosplaying. I sadly found it didn't give me enough coverage as I wanted for my cosplays. I believe this to be because the shade was too sheer for my skin. Not something that happens to me very often given that I have fair skin but in this instance that is what happened. I imagine it would do a great job on someone with a porcelain complexion so if you're very pale with minimum pink/red undertones this shade might just work well for you.

I usually use very light foundations to match my fair skin but if you are not extremely fair I would advise going up by one shade in these foundations if you have any form of redness you wish to cover (including mild break outs). Ivory gives me great coverage, it's not as sheer as Porcelain. It is very slightly warmer in colour but it blends nicely into my skin and is a fairly good colour match for me. 





Application and Blending

The formula blends easily and evenly over the face. I have used this with my fingers and a few different foundation brushes. It works beautifully with both types of application. I am biased towards using my fingers though as I think your fingers are definitely your best tools and this works very well with the warmth of fingers.

Coverage 

This foundation offers medium to full coverage. It's buildable and very lightweight. Layering to create coverage will not result in a heavy, cakey feeling on the skin. Quite the contrary, this is so lightweight it's easy to forget you're even wearing make up with it on. I have some mild redness on my face and I suffer with hormonal related break outs. This covers my natural redness well and does quite a good job covering my break outs too.

Lasting Power 

This foundation lasts around 8-10 hours on me. I have dry skin with minor oiliness. I have used it with and without a face primer. Obviously with a primer underneath it lasted a little longer but honestly, I didn't really feel it lasted THAT much longer with primer. It works nicely with powder too. I did not find it became cakey with the use of setting powder on top.

Finish 

This foundation promises 'undetectable' matching and coverage. The coverage is definitely undetectable. It definitely has a 'barely there' finish whilst still providing good coverage. In other words, this isn't very noticeable at all on the skin but it still hides any 'imperfections' you may want concealed.

However, if you dislike dewy looking skin then I would highly advise using a powder throughout the day as once this foundation oxidises (reacts with the air and general environment) it has a tendency to give the skin a dewy appearance. (The dewiness for me, I know, is not a result of my skin being naturally oily. I rarely suffer with oiliness on my skin and when I do it is very minor.) This is easily fixed with some face powder. It does not give a greasy appearance at all, just slight dewiness. I am presuming the reason for the dewiness is a result of the SPF within the foundation. (SPF can sometimes make the skin dewy or shiny in some cases.)

Removal ★ 

I personally use a good make up removing cleanser to take this off and then I wash my face with my favourite facial wash. It comes off easily for me without any problems. 



In the photo below I'm wearing 'Ivory' so you can see how well it blends into fairer skin despite its warmer appearance. The photo was taken in daylight with no flash and the photo has not been edited at all. 






Hope you found this review helpful!

2 comments

  1. Nice review! I might give this one a go!

    Lorraine xx
    http://lollikelly.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Lolli K: Thanks for your input! Hope it works out for you if you give it a try, it's a great foundation :)

    ReplyDelete

INSTAGRAM

© Luna Light ☾. Design by FCD.